Saturday, September 6, 2008

Long Overdue Update...

The day after my last post, it happened. My water broke...at work. I guess that's what I get for trying to do too much. I had just gotten back from an office lunch and was talking to my boss. I felt a small gush (best way to describe it) and knew that I had not wet myself. I excused myself and went to the bathroom. I quickly realized that what happened wasn't anything I controlled and went back to let my boss know that my water broke.


I then jumped in my car and started my trek to the hospital. By trek I mean a 45 minute drive. I called Thadd, who sort of freaked out, which is to be expected. I then proceeded to drive, above the speed limit, to try to make the 45 minute drive. I took back roads to get to the highway so that there would be less traffic and honestly, drive quicker. I called my mom and dad, both were excited. My mom told me that I shouldn't be driving myself, speeding at 75 on back roads, 95 on highway, and talking on the phone. I told her it was too late.


I made it to the hospital in Owosso in 25 minutes. For all you math majors out there that is a 20 minute slashing of how long it should have taken. I had Thadd pre-register me at the hospital so that I could just come in and go straight to the Maternity ward. Apparently it is a big thing if you drive to the hospital from Lansing when your water broke. Word spread like wild fire and I had a lot of people at the hospital looking out for the crazy lady.


When we got to the Mat. ward we were shuffled into a room and hooked up to monitors. They checked to ensure that my water did in fact break and started all the necessary fluids. I did accept drugs eventually and exactly 12 hours and 8 minutes after my water broke we heard the amazing sound of Elijah crying. It was a beautiful moment when they put him on my chest and we just had our time. For about 5 minutes everything else didn't matter. I honestly kind of forgot that things where still going on.


Exactly three weeks ago he was born. It has completely changed every aspect of my life and I no longer control my time. However, I wouldn't change it for the world. He's a beautiful baby with dark blue eyes and dark hair. It's fun to already style it. I have found that after his nightly bath I can style it and it will remain the same until we give him a bath the next night. He's very content and I feel truly blessed to have him.


If only I could figure something out so I wouldn't have to go back to work....


No comments: